it is time... high time... to launch our possibly biggest and most ambitious projects yet - our new guide to zero carbon universities.
Entitled 'Changing Systems: Not Just Lightbulbs' this guide has been a 16 month labor of love for our guide working group, following a 2-day workshop last year.
We invite you to join us for the launch next Thursday as part of the University of Sheffield Sustainability Week that you hopefully already heard of.
To book a place, please go to: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/zero-carbon-universities-guide-launch-tickets-50967858236
“The Guide focuses on ways of engaging people right across the whole spectrum in a university, and building collaboration across the boundaries of academic disciplines and status. It also explores the value of engagement with the local community, and how developing small-scale prototypes can be a powerful tool. We set this in the context of systems thinking – recognising that the challenge of building pathways to zero carbon is highly complex and multi-faceted. We argue that universities can step into a leading role in the social transformation that’s needed.”
Guide online resources:
To allow for maximum usefulness of the guide, the guide and its full set of associated online resources will be available on launch day via its dedicated webpage:
Date: 18 October 2018
Location: Studio, Level 2, Students' Union (S10 2TG)
- Welcome and introduction to the Carbon Neutral University Network.
- Followed by Adam, our lead author and project coordinator, introducing the new guide, and a participatory exercise to show you the guide in printed form and gather some thoughts.
- Then we are lucky to have Katie McGuire, Deputy Director of Sustainability at the University of Leeds talk tell you a bit about their sustainability journey, and Jamie Agombar, Head of Sustainability at the NUS, who will give us a brief impression of sustainability at the NUS.
- The event will be wrapped up with a Q&A session including the speakers.
Following the event there will also be 2 more opportunities for climate action and networking that same evening.
1) The Climate Change Communication Hub will meet at 7.30-9.30pm in Workroom 3 (Diamond Building).
2) The Student sustainability committee is running a pub quiz for students and our student society will join (7-9pm, Interval).
Now... although the email is already long enough, we wouldn't like to miss this opportunity to give a special mention to the University of Sheffield Sustainability Strategy launch!
The first version of the University of Sheffield Sustainability Strategy will be revealed on Monday (15th) at the start of the Sustainability Week. We are really excited to see it and would really encourage everybody to attend the launch events on Monday - and of course our guide launch event on Thursday.
More details on all 'Sustainability Week' events are available here -
please book your tickets:
We would really love to see you at this launch event because the guide does not change systems by itself - it needs you.
Your CNU Guide writing team and CNU coordinators.