Firstly, we very much apologise for not updating you very regularly (albeit with the noble intention to do so), but there was so much happening that we did not always find the time to write it all down.
Still, you may have seen our recent blogs and videos for the ‘Delivering on 2 degrees event’ held in April, and our Social Science Building consultation campaign to ascertain to you that things are happening. You may have even been taking part in the renewable energy tour guided by our co-chair Christian during renewable energy week.
More details on these June-July happenings:
- Delivering on 2 degrees blog including Kevin Anderson YouTube videos: http://carbonneutralshef.weebly.com/news/delivering-on-2-degrees-event-summary
- Social Science building consultation – ensuring maximum sustainability on new campus buildings: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/efm/estatesdevelopment/projects/social-sciences-building
- Renewable energy tour through three sustainability labs at the University: http://grantham.sheffield.ac.uk/visitors-explore-sheffields-sustainability-research/
So here is a brief summary of projects we are looking into, and that you might find interesting enough to get involved with. Just contact us or come to our next open meeting on 28 July, 5-7pm, in the Diamond Workroom 1.
- Our Behaviour Change (BC) subgroup has organised a sustainability forum lunch for the 21st of July with the aim to bring operational staff at the University together and network.
- Paul, as part of the Buildings Efficiency (BE) subgroup, is looking into the feasibility and benefits or wildflower meadows around campus with the aim to increase biodiversity.
- Our Renewable Energy (RE) subgroup including Christian, Danial and James are looking closely at the development of more wind turbines at the AMRC, with the aim to lower the carbon footprint of the AMRC and thereby the whole campus.
- We will be having our first meeting with CiCS to learn and discuss how to put more computers into hibernation mode to save energy. Mike from the buildings efficiency group has been organising this.
- The Buildings Efficiency subgroup also has a strong interest in investigating areas around campus where lights are left on unnecessarily. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
- Further, we are looking currently to organise a sustainability tour to the Sheffield City College, and a Green Buildings event in autumn that could really benefit from more people getting involved to make this more fun.
- Our Student Society is organising our stall at the Fresher’s Fair in September. We need to design flyers and are looking into running our stall on renewable energy.
- It is all for a good cause and to protect the environment of course, but we also want to come together, socialise and have a bit of fun. So our Thursday socials (5pm, Uni Arms) will continue, and we hope to have a number of film evenings set up over the autumn.
These are just a few of the things that we can do together at our University, and we would like you to join us with your ideas and your energy to help our University of Sheffield to become a sustainable place fit for our future.
Don’t forget to check out our website and Facebook page for news and sign up if you want to receive reminders and information via email.
Your lovely CNU coordinators ;)