Renewables and Self Generation
Focussing on renewable energy solutions to reduce or offset the carbon emissions of the University's electricity and heating.
Group key contact: James Parker & Andreas Penzkofer
Ongoing projects and Ideas:
1) Work out the feasibility of solar thermal or biomass boilers in University accommodation and potential carbon savings.
2) Onsite wind: Find out whether plans for onsite wind generation have been cut, and work with interested supervisors to use student projects to collect wind data at prospective sites.
3) Investigate the use of MAC curves in order to assess the carbon saving compared to cost for a variety of measures.
1) Offsite wind: Formulate and submit a proposal for a University owned offsite wind farm to offset carbon emissions. (more details)
2) Pushing for more solar panels on University roof space, starting with the Student Union (more details). This was found to be possible but not financially feasible.